Guidelines for attending Yoga classes
- Arrive BEFORE the published start time of the class with plenty of time to change and set up. Be ready on your mat, quietly focused in time for the beginning of the class. Late arrivals disturb other students and the energy and flow of the class. The door is kept locked at our venue and the buzzer will be switched off once the class has started.
- Please come to class clean and free of strong scents.
- Remove your shoes before entering the yoga room.
- Ensure your mobile phone is not just turned to silent but is switched off.
- Please remove your socks and work barefoot during asana practice. You can put your socks on for relaxation at the end if you wish.
- Don’t have anything substantial to eat for at least a couple of hours before class. If you’re hungry, a small snack such as fruit or a yogurt should keep you going until afterwards.
- Hydrate well by drinking water both before and after class. It is better to avoid drinking during the class though.
- Please come with money to pay for your class. We accept cash or cheques.
- Please let the teacher know before the class if you are working with any injuries or illnesses (however minor), if you have any health concerns, or if you are pregnant.
- Yoga is non-competitive. Work within your own capacity and respect your body.
What to wear
Wear loose comfortable clothing that you can stretch in e.g. leggings, track pants, shorts and a (fitted) T shirt or vest top. There are special yoga clothes, but there is no need to spend lots of money on these. Yoga is practised in bare feet and we will tend to insist on this, especially for standing postures but you may wish to wear socks for relaxation at the end to keep your feet warm. It’s also worthwhile bringing a jumper or fleece that you can put on at the end of class.
If you have a yoga mat, please bring one. We do have a few yoga mats which be borrowed in the short term. However, if you want to keep practising yoga, it’s a good idea, for reasons of hygiene etc. to purchase your own mat. You may purchase one from In The Moment or if you would like a wider selection, we recommend the Yoga Matters Website where you can order one. There are blocks and belts to borrow. If you borrow a mat, we ask for a donation of 50p to cover cleaning costs and to contribute to our Karma fund. Please wipe your borrowed mat after use with the cleaning materials provided.